FortWhyte Alive is dedicated to providing programming, natural settings, and facilities for environmental education, outdoor recreation, and social enterprise. In so doing, FortWhyte promotes awareness and understanding of the natural world and actions leading to sustainable living.
About the role & perks:
As a member of the Education Team, the Seasonal Bilingual Interpreter will participate in school, youth, and public program delivery with a special emphasis on French programming. This Interpreter will play a unique role in the building of FortWhyte Alive’s French Services infrastructure. The position entails the utilization of leadership, public relations and communication skills and the acquisition and application of specific environmental-related knowledge in a public education role.
- Seasonal (Fall & Winter)
- September 2022 – April 2023
- Hours of work are 8:30 am – 4:30 pm including some evenings and weekends
- 1 vacancy
- 1961 McCreary Road, Winnipeg, MB
- FortWhyte Alive is devoted to developing a work environment and recruitment processes that are inclusive and barrier-free. Please let us know if an accommodation is needed at any stage of the recruitment process.
- FortWhyte Alive is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace. Employment equity may be a factor in selection for this position. We welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous people, Black people, People of Colour, LGBTQ2S+ people and people with disabilities.
- Post Secondary degree or diploma in history, education, science or tourism (or working towards)
- Ability to speak English and French fluently
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Proven experience working with children (a child abuse registry check and criminal records check are required before the position begins)
- Knowledge of Manitoba’s social and natural history is an asset
- Knowledge of Indigenous language and culture is an asset
- Certification in First Aid and CPR is an asset
- Private transportation to FWA (no bus service available)
- FortWhyte Alive is committed to the health and safety of its employees, visitors, stakeholders, and the community. FortWhyte Alive requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, in a manner that is approved by Health Canada, as a condition of employment. Accommodations will be made for those who are exempt from receiving the vaccine due to legitimate, established reasons in accordance with The Human Rights Code of Manitoba. In these cases, appropriate supporting documentation will be required
- Program Delivery
- Shadow different interpreters to learn delivery techniques, styles and program content
- Interpret for school/youth and public groups in both official languages
- Coordinate school programs, including assembling program supplies, preparing schedules and assisting volunteer interpreters
- Participate in seasonal training programs for volunteer and staff interpreters
- Mentor volunteer interpreters
- Ensure care and maintenance of heritage exhibits including plains tipi encampment, buffalo pound, dog travois, buffalo boxes, pioneer sod house and artifacts.
- Research and Writing
- Assist with special projects related to extending French services
- Evaluate and revise all year-round French school programs in conjunction with the French Coordinator (meeting Manitoba curriculum standards)
- Revise French school program evaluation forms as needed
- Work with French Coordinator to develop public programs to be delivered in French
- Other duties as assigned
How to apply:
Send your resume and cover letter by August 31, 2022 at: https://fortwhyte.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=88
If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact us and we would be happy to help you.