The Community Employment and Resource Centre (CERC) was initiated by the Chaboillé Community Development Corporation as a result of the recommendation in the Chartier Report, “Above all, Common Sense” (May 1998) for a Bilingual Service Centre. (www.csbsc.mb.ca/history.html )
What is CERC?
- CERC is an Employment Assistance Program funded by Employment Manitoba from Steinbach.
- As of December 1st, 2011 CERC has become an incorporated entity: CERC-MB Inc.
- From October 2008 – November 2011, CERC was sponsored by Réseau communautaire.
- From 1999 to 2008 CERC was sponsored by the Chaboillé Community Development Corporation.
In June 1999, the Employment Centre opened a temporary office at 471 Sabourin Street, the former location of the Liquor Control Commission in St-Pierre-Jolys, Manitoba. It was designated the name: Chaboille Regional Employment and Resource Centre.
In August 2002, CERC moved to the new Bilingual Service Centre – Red River Region in St-Pierre-jolys.
In 2003, to better reflect its Manitoba southeast clientele and to emulate its mission in providing personal, friendly, one-on-one bilingual services, CERC adopted a new look:
New name: Community Employment and Resource Centre (CERC)
New slogan: Warm open-door service expanding horizons
In 2003, CERC developed these statements:
Our bilingual employment centre offers direction, assistance and opportunities to the residents of Southeastern Manitoba to access the skills and resources necessary to achieve meaningful employment and success within the workforce.
We will strive to improve and promote the economic well-being of our communities by providing personal, individualized employment services. We will also receive labour market information from the entrepreneurs to better respond to their needs.
We believe that…
- Everyone should have equal rights to all possible employment opportunities,
- We can best achieve our mission through the collaborative efforts within our communities.
- Positive attitude and the belief in oneself are the first steps towards success.
Warm open-door service expanding horizons!