Elections Manitoba is an independent office of the Legislative Assembly responsible for delivering free and fair provincial elections. All employees with Elections Manitoba (EM) must be non-partisan in perception and fact, and sign a confidentiality agreement.
About the role:
- Assists in the planning, organizing and delivery of free, fair and accessible electoral events in their electoral division.
- Acts as the returning officer (RO) if the RO is absent or unable to act, or if the office is vacant.
- Supports the RO in managing all aspects of the election within their electoral division, including human resources and material and financial requirements through the pre-writ, election phase and post-election reporting and assessments.
- Supervises the creation and maintenance of the voters list for their electoral division. The Assistant Returning Officer (ARO) is appointed by the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) and takes direction from and reports to the RO and/or designate.
- Involves working long hours, seven days a week, during the 28-day election calendar and for several days after the election.
- Prior to the election, AROs must be available on an occasional, part-time basis to carry out activities such as pre-election planning assignments, and attending training or briefing sessions, etc.
- Bilingual (French and English)
- Eligible voter and resident of the electoral division in which they are working
- Remain completely non-partisan during their term of appointment
- Successfully complete a criminal record check
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Know the electoral division well and be prepared to travel within it
- Experience working in a team environment as a lead or key team member on major projects
- Leadership skills and a commitment to high legal and ethical standards
- Experience with directing or participating high-performance teams or staff
- Experience managing office and/or project resources
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Effective problem-solving skills in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated computer literacy and the ability to learn and adapt to various applications
- Commitment to delivering excellent service
- Experience compiling and submitting accurate and timely updates and reports
- Familiar working with legislation, policies and regulations and/or elections
- Election employment experience
- Ability to communicate in another language, other than French and English, which is spoken in the electoral division.
Within their electoral division and under the direction of the RO, the ARO:
- Supports RO in planning, organizing and delivering electoral events as outlined in election policy and legislation
- Supports RO in administering The Elections Act, The Election Financing Act and The Referendum Act in their electoral division
- Supports the oversight and management of materials and supplies
- Assists RO in managing financial resources
- Communicates with the public, candidates, official agents and EM support and headquarters staff
- Contributes to the improvement of the electoral process
- Performs their duties in a completely non-partisan manner
- Fulfills all reporting requirements in an accurate and timely manner
- Uses EM systems to track and report on election activities
- Takes direction from and reports to RO and/or designate
- Ensures all communications are professional, respectful and timely
Plans and prepares for an election by carrying out pre-election tasks that include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists in the completion of pre-election plans
- Works with the RO in locating suitable and accessible space for the returning office and polling places
- Assists in setting up the office
- Responsible for training office staff for data entry tasks related to voters
- Supervises voter registration updates during targeted registration based on set criteria
- Participates in the review of electoral division and voting area boundaries and maps
Plans and organizes the delivery of electoral events
- Assists in managing the delivery of all voting opportunities
- Responds to public inquiries
- Participates in the recruitment and appointment of election staff
Supports RO in ensuring employees are trained in procedures and understand their roles and responsibilities
- Ensures election officials and staff respect confidentiality guidelines issued by EM
- Collaborates in managing the performance of all staff and contributes to employee evaluations
- Implements security measures as required by EM policies for the protection of information, assets, staff and the general public at the returning office and at polling places
- Oversees all efforts to maintain an accurate list of eligible voters throughout key election phases
- Assists in establishing accessible polling places
- Collaborates in assigning election officials to polling stations and issuing their supplies
- Collaborates in validating and reporting on the results of the vote
- Assists in directing the counting of votes on election night including public reporting
- Assists in the final tally to confirm results and declare candidate
- Provides input into managing the inventory, supply and distribution of materials
- Participates in the judicial recount process, if necessary
- Contributes to the improvement of the electoral process
- Assists in the return of election documents, furniture, equipment and telephones
- Completes administrative post-election reporting
- Participates in event debriefs and consultations
- Engages in consultations with EM that contribute to procedural, organizational and/or technical improvements to increase the efficiency of electoral events
- Identify the supervisory responsibilities of the position.
- Assists with recruitment, training and management of up to 100 staff throughout the election process, particular focus on training for data entry related to voter information.
- Scope for Independent Action
- Expected to work with the returning officer to resolve issues within the electoral division and reach out to headquarters for unusual matters that require additional support
- Expected to problem-solve within electoral division and raise sensitive or unusual issues with headquarters
- Request and act on advice from CEO or designate for election-related matters
How to apply:
Apply now at electionsmb.ca.
If you have any further questions, please contact us and we would be happy to assist